Announcements, New Features, and How Tos
Over the last couple days the US-East-C1 cluster experienced some performance issues, the worst of which occurred on September 30th between 8:36am and 8:44am (PST), when latencies were bad enough that several customers apps were severely affected. We’re very sorry to all affected customers and want to explain what happened and what we’re doing to prevent such incidents in the future.
Recently we diagnosed an issue for several of our customers who were using the python Django web-framework. They were all experiencing performance issues and a reasonable amount of broken connections to our servers. The issue was that by default Django uses a new connection to memcached for each request. This is terrible for performance in general, paying the cost of an extra round-trip to setup the TCP connection, but is far worse with cloud-services like MemCachier that have an security layer and require new connections to be authenticated. A new connection to a MemCachier server takes at least 3 round-trips, which increases the time to execute a single
get request by 4x.
Any Ubuntu 14.04 LTS users may have noticed that the provided libmemcached package doesn’t support SASL authentication. This is a major issue as it means that any memcache client that depends on libmemcached (which is a lot!) doesn’t work with MemCachier or similar services out-of-the-box as they can’t authenticate with our servers.
Today we officially launched on the Windows Azure Store! We’ve supported Windows Azure with MemCachier for a few weeks now but weren’t integrated into their store and management interface. After some hard work to upgrade our Haskell provisioning server, we’re now have full support for Windows Azure.
Now that MemCachier supports showing your cache statistics directly in your New Relic dashboard if you are a customer of both companies, there is a need to be able to find your New Relic license key. This is a 40 character long random string used for external services like MemCachier to send data to your dashboard.
MemCachier just became MemCachier with more graphs!
We took down our blog for a long time after we moved from our website being a modified Worpress installation, to a custom built Ruby-on-Rails job. Sadly, we never got around to putting it back up.
On the 12th of March between 2am and 11am PST MemCachier suffered a series of outages and performance problems for many of our production customers. This post briefly summarizes the cause of the problem and the actions that have been taken since to address it.